BC Bike Race: The Western Hemisphere’s Largest Mountain Bike Stage Race. This race features 7 days, 32,800 feet of climbing, 300 km of single track, and 625 racers. Competing in this event is a dream come true and when the CLIF Pro Team invited me to participate in it I was flooded with emotions. The little kid inside of me who has imagined this race forever was giddy with glee, the competitor inside of me was calculating my training, and the perfectionist was figuring out logistics.
During this 7 day racing extravaganza each athlete will turn in their own luggage and repack their gear into a 30-inch by 16.5 inches by 12 inches. This will be their lifeline for the next week. Sleeping in a tent, with breakfast and dinner provided, this little bag will contain all of the gear that I need to ride my bike all over British Columbia. So…what does a professional racer bring in her bag? Here’s the inside scoop.
Mandatory Gear: While there are obviously many things that are needed to make this journey, BC Bike Race only requires 6. These 6 items must be on your person the entire time which means you have to race with them al 7 days.
- Rain Jacket: I’ll be carrying the Garneau Torrent Jacket. This jacket offers protection from wind and water and still rolls up perfectly to fit in a back pocket.
- Circuit Camelbak with 50 ounce capacity and a Camelbak Podium Bottle
- Whistle: 120 db Safety Whistle
- UCO Survival Waterproof Matches
- Pressure Dressing: Rolled Gauze
- Emergency Food: See Below for Full Outline of Clif Products
Nutrition: On a 7 day stage race, nutrition might be the most important part of the entire operation. Without proper nutrition, not only will your effort be limited but you might not even make it to day 7. This is what I anticipate consuming nutrition produce-wise for the 7 days.
- 21 Clif Gels (Raspberry, Citrus, & Chocolate Cherry)
- 7 packets of Clif Blocks (Chocolate Cherry & Citrus)
- 7 bottles of Clif Electrolyte Mix (Lemon Limeade)
- 7 Bottles of Clif Recovery Mix (Chocolate)
- 7 Clif Builder’s Protein (Chocolate Mint)
~ 6,090 Calories
On the Bike Clothing: You can’t skimp on what you wear while you’re riding. This is a 7 day bike race after all. It is most important to be comfortable and prepared while pedaling.
- 4 x Louis Garneau Bibs
- 4 x Louis Garneau Jerseys
- 3 x Louis Garneau Skinsuit
- 7 x Sockguy socks
- 1 x La DND Giro Gloves
- 2 x Riv’ette Giro Gloves
- 1 x Neo Blaze Giro Gloves
- 1 x 4 Seasons Hoodie Jacket
- 1 x Mant Thermal Louis Garneau Jacket
- 1 x Louis Garneau Wind jacket
- 1 x Louis Garneau Wind vest
- 1 x Louis Garneau Leg warmers
- 1 x Louis Garneau Arm warmers
- 1 x Louis Garneau Knee Warmers
- 7 x Sports bras
- 2 x Base layers
- 1 x Giro Empire Cycling Shoes (with extra shoelace)
- 1 x Giro Synthe Helmet
- 2 x Oakley Radar Glasses (with Trail and Clear Lenses)
On the Bike Tools: During a stage race you have to finish in order to get to the next day. These tools will get me to the finish line no matter what happens (knock on wood).
- Garmin 820
- RX Micro-20 tool Multi-Tool
- Shimano Quick Link
- BlackBurn Plugger Tubeless Tire Repair Kit
- 2 x CO2 (with head)
- 1 x Maxxis Tube
- 2 x Camelbak Podium Bottles
- Oiz Hanger
Off The Bike Tools: Each day is a new chance to make a move. These items make sure that my bike is at it’s best when it gets to the start line.
- Pedro’s Folding Hex Set Multi-Tool
- Blackburn SL Mini Pump
- Blackburn Core Mini Pump
- Blackburn Honest Digital Pressure Gauge
- Pedro’s Chain Lube
Extra Parts: Sometimes bad things happen to good people (or bikes). Here is everything I cam bringing “just incase” the poop hits the fan.
- Rotor Chain Ring
- ESI Racer’s Edge Grip
- 2 x Maxxis Ikon 29 Tires
- 3 x Stan’s No Tubes Mini Sealant Bottles
- Shimano XTR Chain
- Shimano XTR Brakepads (x2)
- Shimano XTR Di2 Derailleur
- Shimano XTR Di2 Shifter
- Shimano ETube Wire (400&1000mm)
- Shimano XTR Pedals
- Shimano Cleats
- Shimano Di2 Battery
- Shimano Di2 Charger
- Shimano XT Cassette
- Shimano XTR Rotor
Off-The-Bike Clothing: This is the arena I am being the most frugal. Comfort and usability is key.
- 4 x Clif T-Shirt
- 1 x Garneau Women’s Factory Hoodie
- 1 x Down Jacket
- 1 x Sweatpants
- 1 x Yoga Pants
- 2 x Jeans
- 2 x Shorts
- 3 x SockGuy Socks
- 1 x Nike Shoes
- 1 x Flip Flops
- 1 x Jolyn Swimsuit
- 1 x Pajamas
Camping: A good night’s sleep will keep me rolling and recovering during these 7 days. Health is always important.
- All Good Chapstick
- KeltyBuilt DryDown Sleeping Bag
- KinderCamp Sleeping Pad
- Multi-Towel Lite x 2
- Seat to Summit Wipes
- AA Battery
- UCO Lantern Mini
- Mini Duct Tape
- Ben’s Bug Spray
- Hand Sanitizer
- Mini Maglite Flashlight
- Wildnerness Wash
- Hair ties
- Micro USB Charger
There you have it. I will manage to fit all of this equipment into an 85 Liter Capacity Duffle Bag. Keep following along for the full recap of the BC Bike Race. The race starts July 7th and lasts through the 13th.
To learn more about an item listed here please send me a message.
To learn more about BC Bike Race: